Labels

Cable ties (1) coffee (1) deli (1) fries (1) greetings (1) grocery store (1) hello (1) hi (1) how are you (1) peppered ham (1) waitress (1) water (1) wire ties (1)

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Peppered ham

This is classic nonversation, combining 'not-listening' skills with the utterance of a slew of words that have obviously not been considered before spewing from the oral orifice.

I am in my local grocery store attempting to buy ham from the deli counter. It is the kind of ham where the outside has been smothered in peppercorns. The nonversation goes like this:

Me: I would like a pound of peppered ham please.

Her: Skewz me?

Me: I would like a pound of peppered ham please.

Her: Skewzzzzz me? (Sounding annoyed with me.)

Me: (Now blushing and pointing and totally clueless about how to rephrase my request) I would like a pound of the peppered ham you have here.

Her: Ohhhhhh! Yew mean PEPPER ham.

As I tell of this moment, I feel an internal explosion going on and my rage is mounting!

Let me break it down for you.

Number 1: Pepper ham and peppered ham are not so far apart in our language that it would have been impossible for her to work out what I meant.

Number 2: Grammatically speaking it is peppered ham.

Number 3: The label on the ham says 'PEPPERED HAM!'

Finally, I don't need to be told what I mean in this situation!

The scary thing? Weeks later, same store, different 'helper', the exact thing happens to me again! Verbatim! I stuck to my guns and announced I needed 'peppered ham', but this time I introduced the pointing action a bit sooner, to speed things along. I was struck dumb to hear again, 'Ohhhh! Yew mean PEPPER ham!'

Now this is does not end here. There is more!

Months later, we move house and I look forward to my first visit to a new grocery store. I waltz happily over to the deli counter with fresh hope in my heart.

When I heard the words, 'Yew mean pepper ham', I lost it!

I rarely buy peppered ham anymore. I just can't face it.

4 comments:

  1. Have you ever been asked what you mean when asking for a bottle of water?????

    It really is the most amazing dumb thing I have ever seen in my 12 years here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Classic!

    Funniest one was when a waitress came back to the table and asked me, 'What's in that?'

    She thought it was a cocktail!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I first moved there (NC) from California, I missed having brie cheese with French bread. I asked the grocery manager if he could order some in. I had to spell it for him.

    A few weeks later, I got a call from the store; "Sir? Your..ummm... "Bryyy-eeee" cheese'n". "What?", I asked. "Your Brrrryyyyy-eeee cheese'n".

    After a few moments of running it through my mind real slow, I realized what he was saying.
    "Oh, GREAT! I'll be in this evening to pick it up!" It was the wrong kind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. and i thought i had problems living in england.
    normally when i ask a question at work the reply is invariably "half past two, taffy boy"

    ReplyDelete