Labels

Cable ties (1) coffee (1) deli (1) fries (1) greetings (1) grocery store (1) hello (1) hi (1) how are you (1) peppered ham (1) waitress (1) water (1) wire ties (1)

Thursday, November 19, 2009

The Great Brit-Tin Rate

I will be a little vague here, so as not to cause unnecessary embarrassment to the nice young lady who helped me out, but I have to share this story.

I was recently in one of these stores that specialize in postal services.

With birthday cards in hand, I asked, 'Will you weigh these cards for me please and let me know what the rate it is?' To be clear I added, 'I'm sending them to Great Britain.'

The young lady takes the cards and weighs them and in a short moment repeats, 'You are sending them to Great Brit-Tin?'

** Side note: without fail, for some bizarre reason a psychologist might palm off as subconscious mirroring, I frequently have people repeat things back to me sounding British-esque, but doing a horrible job with it. I'm sure they don't know what they are doing, so I let it slide; but let me just say this, it is a bit rude. How would it be, for example, if every time I talked to an American (or more controversial still, a person with a Chinese or Indian or German accent, to randomly pick a few) I mirrored them? Hmmm! Rude right? Be aware people ... be aware ... that's all I'm saying, and if you can tone it down, so much the better!

Anyway, to get back to the story, the young lady repeats, 'You are sending them to Great Brit-Tin?' to which I answer, 'Yes, thank you.'

Next comes the wide-eyed moment. She pauses and then asks, 'So you want the Great Brit-Tin rate?'

What? WHAT?

No! Give me the rate for Uganda! Especially if it is cheaper!

Of course I want the Great Brit-Tin rate. How else should we do this and how many times do I have to verify Great Brit-Tin for you!

Anyway, in all reality, she was sweet and I maintained decorum while the real conversation played out in full volume in my head.

As they say here in The South: 'Bless her heart!'

No comments:

Post a Comment